1. What territory did the Treaty of Paris did give the USA?
2. How did the USA acquire the Louisiana Purchase? Who did they buy it from? How much? Etc?
3. What kinds of people moved west?
4. Why did most people move west?
5. Who did people get west? How long did it take? How much did it cost?
6. What was squatting? What was the Homestead Act?
7. What was Manifest Destiny?
8. Which nations claimed the Oregon Territory?
9. What part of Mexico did many Americans move to? Who led them? What did they have to do?
10. Describe Texas Independence. What was the Alamo? How did Texas win their independence?
11. What was the “Lone Star Republic?” How were they annexed into the United States?
12. Who was Jim Bowie, Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, Col. Travis?
13. Who won the Election of 1844? What was the famous campaign slogan?
14. What nation did the USA nearly go to war with over Oregon? How was the problem settled?
15. Who were the Mormons? Where did they move to?
16. What is the Telegraph? Who invented it?
17. What was the Comstock Lode? Where was it discovered?
18. Mexico claimed this river as the border between Mexico and the USA in 1846? USA claimed?
19. Who was president during the Mexican War?
20. During the Mexican war, who traveled with the armies for the first time?
21. Who was Zach Taylor? Winfield Scott? Steven Kirney? John Fremont? What did they accomplish?
22. Which famous American opposed the Mexican War? What was the “Spot Resolution”?
23. What treaty ended the Mexican War? Who signed it for the United States?
24. What were the results of the Mexican War?
25. What was the Pony Express?
26. How was the Transcontinental Railroad built? What was the famous railroad scandal?
27. What was the Gadsden Purchase?
*LABEL EACH PART OF TERRITORIAL EXPANSION ON THE MAP: (LA PURCHASE, MEXICAN SESSION, OREGON, GADSDEN PURCHASE, FLORIDA, OTHER PARTS)
*ESSAY QUESTION: (PICK ONE)
1. EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED AT THE BATTLE OF THE ALAMO. INCLUDE DETAILS.
2. DISCUSS THE CAUSES OF THE MEXICAN WAR. INCLUDE DETAILS.
3. EXPLAIN HOW THE TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD WAS BUILT. DETAILS.